China says committed to Lanka`s economic development
Colombo: Expressing its commitment to Sri
Lanka`s economic development, China Saturday assured the country
of all assistance in key infrastructure and socio-cultural
projects in the post-LTTE era.
This was conveyed by visiting Chinese Vice Premier Zhang
Dejiang to President Mahinda Rajapaksa during a breakfast
meeting between them.
The Chinese Vice Premier discussed the progress in key
aspects of economic cooperation between Sri Lanka and China,
including the work on the Colombo Katunayake Expressway,
extension of the railway from Matara to Kataragama and
Norochcholai Coal Power Project in the North Western Province.
The construction work on these projects was proceeding
with a good speed to achieve agreed targets, an official
"China reiterated its commitment to the economic
development of Sri Lanka, with its investment and association
with the major economic, infrastructure and socio-cultural
development projects in the country," the statement said.
Rajapaksa thanked China for its continued assistance to
Sri Lanka in the country`s efforts to defeat terrorism and for
economic and social development both during the conflict and
Zhang said his country reciprocated Sri Lanka`s continued
gesture of friendship, especially in the support for the
The meeting between the two leaders followed signing of
six agreements between China and Sri Lanka yesterday,
including for economic and technical cooperation, highways
development and Information Technology and Communications.
The agreements also included those on the development of
maritime ports and the second phase of the Hambantota Port
Development project in Southern Coast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says