China says committed to Lanka`s economic development
Colombo: Expressing its commitment to Sri
Lanka`s economic development, China Saturday assured the country
of all assistance in key infrastructure and socio-cultural
projects in the post-LTTE era.
This was conveyed by visiting Chinese Vice Premier Zhang
Dejiang to President Mahinda Rajapaksa during a breakfast
meeting between them.
The Chinese Vice Premier discussed the progress in key
aspects of economic cooperation between Sri Lanka and China,
including the work on the Colombo Katunayake Expressway,
extension of the railway from Matara to Kataragama and
Norochcholai Coal Power Project in the North Western Province.
The construction work on these projects was proceeding
with a good speed to achieve agreed targets, an official
"China reiterated its commitment to the economic
development of Sri Lanka, with its investment and association
with the major economic, infrastructure and socio-cultural
development projects in the country," the statement said.
Rajapaksa thanked China for its continued assistance to
Sri Lanka in the country`s efforts to defeat terrorism and for
economic and social development both during the conflict and
Zhang said his country reciprocated Sri Lanka`s continued
gesture of friendship, especially in the support for the
The meeting between the two leaders followed signing of
six agreements between China and Sri Lanka yesterday,
including for economic and technical cooperation, highways
development and Information Technology and Communications.
The agreements also included those on the development of
maritime ports and the second phase of the Hambantota Port
Development project in Southern Coast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir