China says committed to Lanka`s economic development
Colombo: Expressing its commitment to Sri
Lanka`s economic development, China Saturday assured the country
of all assistance in key infrastructure and socio-cultural
projects in the post-LTTE era.
This was conveyed by visiting Chinese Vice Premier Zhang
Dejiang to President Mahinda Rajapaksa during a breakfast
meeting between them.
The Chinese Vice Premier discussed the progress in key
aspects of economic cooperation between Sri Lanka and China,
including the work on the Colombo Katunayake Expressway,
extension of the railway from Matara to Kataragama and
Norochcholai Coal Power Project in the North Western Province.
The construction work on these projects was proceeding
with a good speed to achieve agreed targets, an official
"China reiterated its commitment to the economic
development of Sri Lanka, with its investment and association
with the major economic, infrastructure and socio-cultural
development projects in the country," the statement said.
Rajapaksa thanked China for its continued assistance to
Sri Lanka in the country`s efforts to defeat terrorism and for
economic and social development both during the conflict and
Zhang said his country reciprocated Sri Lanka`s continued
gesture of friendship, especially in the support for the
The meeting between the two leaders followed signing of
six agreements between China and Sri Lanka yesterday,
including for economic and technical cooperation, highways
development and Information Technology and Communications.
The agreements also included those on the development of
maritime ports and the second phase of the Hambantota Port
Development project in Southern Coast.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India