China seeks `friendly` talks with Pakistan to free its national
Beijing: China on Monday said it looks forward to addressing the detention of its national for alleged desecration of the holy Quran in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir through "friendly consultations" with the Pakistan government.
"We have taken note of relevant reports," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a media briefing here.
He was replying to a question about a Chinese national working for a consortium building a dam in PoK taken into protective custody after he was attacked by a local crowd alleging that he desecrated the holy book.
"China and Pakistan are friendly neighbours and we believe relevant incident can be properly addressed through friendly consultations," Hong said.
"The Chinese government always asks its nationals to abide by local laws and regulations and respect local religious beliefs and customs as well as culture," he said referring to the incident.
The incident took place ahead of Chinese Premier Li Keqiang`s visit to Islamabad on May 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof