China seeks greater role in South Asian group
Addu: China is seeking an active role in the eight-member South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation, an official said on Friday.
The eight-member grouping wraps up a summit today in the Maldives marked by talks between arch-rivals India and Pakistan, whose leaders spoke of a "new chapter" in relations.
Maldivian officials said China, an observer along with the United States, Japan and the European Union, was expecting a higher profile as a "dialogue partner" in the light of Beijing`s increased strategic interest in many South Asian states.
Hectic behind-the-scenes moves were under way over China`s bid to elevate its status, diplomatic sources said, adding that Pakistan, Bangladesh, the Maldives and Sri Lanka appeared in favour.
Beijing was said to be unhappy being a mere observer and wanted a more active role as a "dialogue partner" because of its investment in the economies of many member states.
India would likely be suspicious of any greater Chinese role. New Delhi has watched with anxiety as Beijing has forged ties with many countries in the South Asia region, often by dispensing aid and soft loans for infrastructure.
Beijing established an embassy in the Maldivian capital Male just two days before SAARC leaders opened their 17th summit in the Addu atoll, the southernmost point in the archipelago on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened