China seeks greater role in South Asian group
Addu: China is seeking an active role in the eight-member South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation, an official said on Friday.
The eight-member grouping wraps up a summit today in the Maldives marked by talks between arch-rivals India and Pakistan, whose leaders spoke of a "new chapter" in relations.
Maldivian officials said China, an observer along with the United States, Japan and the European Union, was expecting a higher profile as a "dialogue partner" in the light of Beijing`s increased strategic interest in many South Asian states.
Hectic behind-the-scenes moves were under way over China`s bid to elevate its status, diplomatic sources said, adding that Pakistan, Bangladesh, the Maldives and Sri Lanka appeared in favour.
Beijing was said to be unhappy being a mere observer and wanted a more active role as a "dialogue partner" because of its investment in the economies of many member states.
India would likely be suspicious of any greater Chinese role. New Delhi has watched with anxiety as Beijing has forged ties with many countries in the South Asia region, often by dispensing aid and soft loans for infrastructure.
Beijing established an embassy in the Maldivian capital Male just two days before SAARC leaders opened their 17th summit in the Addu atoll, the southernmost point in the archipelago on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Bihar: This boy risks his life to save four students from drowning!
- Panel discussion on insensitive behaviour of administration and govt towards common man
- PM Modi saved cameraman from being washed away in Gujarat
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”
- India's bid to join US alliance could irk China, Pakistan: Chinese media
- MUST WATCH: When Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit two monster sixes out of Florida stadium