China to deepen anti-terrorism cooperation with Pakistan
Beijing: China on Wednesday said it will deepen
its anti-terrorism cooperation with Pakistan as it firmly
backed its "all weather ally" which is struggling to manage
its diplomatic row with the US following the killing of Osama
bin Laden by American forces in a covert operation on May 2.
"We are willing to strengthen cooperation with
Pakistan in areas such as joint training, information sharing
and logistical support in order to fight terrorism," Chinese
Defence Ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng told a media briefing
"Pakistan has made great contributions and sacrifices
in the global war against terrorism," the government-run
Xinhua news agency quoted him as saying.
Geng`s remarks came in the backdrop of Pakistan Prime
Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani`s recent visit to China during
which the Chinese leadership extended strong backing of
Islamabad amid revelations that Beijing had asked Washington
to respect the sovereignty of its "all weather" South Asian
While backing Pakistan, Chinese officials indicated
that their anti-terrorism cooperation will be confined mostly
to dealing with East Turkistan Movement, (ETM) as separatist
militant outfit active in the Muslim Uygur majority Xinjiang
province bordering Pakistan.
China seeks active assistance of Pakistan in curbing
the cross border movements of ETM cadre.
While China agreed to provide 50 JF-17 Thunder jets
for Pakistan Air Force on easy loan terms during Gilani’s
visit, Beijing denied any talks with Islamabad on building a
naval base at the strategic Gwadar deep sea port, which was
built with its technical and monetary assistance.
No such proposal figured during the visit of Gilani,
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Jiang Yu told a media
briefing yesterday when asked about reported remarks by
Pakistan Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmad Mukhtar about the
"China Pakistan are friendly neighbours engaged in
extensive cooperation across the board. As for the cooperation
project you mentioned, I have not heard about it. Over the
years, China has provided assistance to Pakistan within its
capacity," she said.
"We hope this assistance will help Pakistan to improve
its livelihood and realise sustainable economic and social
development and we will continue to do so in the future," she
Mukhtar who accompanied Gilani during the just
concluded visit to China, had said that his country
appreciated that China has agreed to run the port, but would
be more grateful "if a naval base is constructed at the site
of Gwadar for Pakistan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA