`China wants countries in South Asia to improve ti
Beijing: As India and Bangladesh resolved a
long-standing border problem during Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh`s Dhaka visit, China today said it would like to see
countries in South Asia improve their ties and build mutual
India and Bangladesh are important countries in South
Asia, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Jiang Yu told a
media briefing here, answering a question on Singh`s visit to
Bangladesh and the agreements reached between the two sides.
She said China would like to see countries in South Asia
improve their bilateral ties as well as build mutual trust and
make joint efforts to maintain peace, stability and
development in the region.
India and Bangladesh yesterday resolved a long-standing
border problem, signing a historic agreement on demarcation of
land boundary and exchange of 162 adversely-held enclaves, but
failed to sign any deal on sharing of Teesta and Feni rivers`
waters during Singh`s maiden visit to Dhaka.
Singh`s visit to Dhaka was being closely watched here as
China too had made strong efforts to woo Bangladesh with a
host of projects, including the offer to develop the strategic
Chittagong port which Dhaka wanted to turn into a commercial
China, which is constructing a network of oil pipelines
and roads through Myanmar, evinced an interest in extending it
to Chittagong to gain access to the platform in the Indian
Ocean for energy supplies.
Many Indian analysts described China`s attempts to
develop Chittagong port as well as those situated in Myanmar
and Sri Lanka as a long-term strategy to "encircle" India with
a "string of pearls," a claim denounced by their Chinese
counterparts as "Indian paranoia."
Singh`s visit to Bangladesh, especially the last-minute
postponement of signing of an accord on water-sharing of
Teesta and Feni rivers, was widely reported in the print and
TV media here.
"Water-sharing deal not expected to be signed" was the
headline in the state-run Global Times daily, while the
official CCTV carried an interview with Bangladesh Prime
Minister Sheikh Hasina`s adviser, who expressed serious
reservations over the failure of the two sides to sign the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM