`China wants countries in South Asia to improve ti
Beijing: As India and Bangladesh resolved a
long-standing border problem during Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh`s Dhaka visit, China today said it would like to see
countries in South Asia improve their ties and build mutual
India and Bangladesh are important countries in South
Asia, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Jiang Yu told a
media briefing here, answering a question on Singh`s visit to
Bangladesh and the agreements reached between the two sides.
She said China would like to see countries in South Asia
improve their bilateral ties as well as build mutual trust and
make joint efforts to maintain peace, stability and
development in the region.
India and Bangladesh yesterday resolved a long-standing
border problem, signing a historic agreement on demarcation of
land boundary and exchange of 162 adversely-held enclaves, but
failed to sign any deal on sharing of Teesta and Feni rivers`
waters during Singh`s maiden visit to Dhaka.
Singh`s visit to Dhaka was being closely watched here as
China too had made strong efforts to woo Bangladesh with a
host of projects, including the offer to develop the strategic
Chittagong port which Dhaka wanted to turn into a commercial
China, which is constructing a network of oil pipelines
and roads through Myanmar, evinced an interest in extending it
to Chittagong to gain access to the platform in the Indian
Ocean for energy supplies.
Many Indian analysts described China`s attempts to
develop Chittagong port as well as those situated in Myanmar
and Sri Lanka as a long-term strategy to "encircle" India with
a "string of pearls," a claim denounced by their Chinese
counterparts as "Indian paranoia."
Singh`s visit to Bangladesh, especially the last-minute
postponement of signing of an accord on water-sharing of
Teesta and Feni rivers, was widely reported in the print and
TV media here.
"Water-sharing deal not expected to be signed" was the
headline in the state-run Global Times daily, while the
official CCTV carried an interview with Bangladesh Prime
Minister Sheikh Hasina`s adviser, who expressed serious
reservations over the failure of the two sides to sign the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800