China`s new leader downgrades internal security chief post
Beijing: In a major administrative move after the once-in-a-decade leadership change, China`s new leader Xi Jinping Monday downgraded the status of the domestic security chief, apparently to clip the wings of the powerful post which posed a serious challenge to the leadership.
A brief announcement here today said Party`s new Central Committee has appointed Meng Jianzhu as secretary of the Commission for Political and Legal Affairs, which controlled the internal security of the country.
The post has become powerful as China has allocated about USD 110 billion for the internal security this years which is far larger than the defence budget of USD 100 billion.
Meng, a part of the new 25-member Politburo replaces the Zhou Yongkang, the outgoing member of the nine member Standing Committee under former General Secretary, Hu Jintao.
The post is now held by a Politburo member instead of Standing Committee member, which in Chinese power structure is a major downgrade.
In the new power structure the Standing Committee has been reduced from nine to seven members.
This was the first bold move by the Hu?s successor, Xi who has emerged as the most powerful Chinese leader in recent time.
He has already take over as General Secretary of the Party and military chief holding the post of Chairman of the Military Commission.
He would be taking over as President when Hu formally retires in March.
Observers say that the move was aimed at clipping the powers of the internal security post.
Also it was snub of sorts to Zhou as he was regarded as one associated with the disgraced Party leader Bo Xilai who is currently waiting for his trial in connection with charges of sex, sleaze and corruption, besides shielding his wife Gu Kailai`s involvement in the murder of British national Neil Heywood
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'