`Chinese engineers were prime target of Pak naval base attack`
Islamabad: The twin aim of the recent terrorist attack on Karachi’s Mehran Naval Station was to harm the eleven Chinese engineers present there and destroy the US-supplied Orion aircraft, according to sources.
Four to six Taliban terrorists had entered PNS Mehran on May 22, destroying two maritime surveillance aircraft and killing 10 military personnel during their 17-hour siege of the naval air base.
“Eleven Chinese engineers, who were working on a very important project, were present in the Base Mess when the terrorists attacked the compound. Six US marines were also present in their separate mess and the security of the Chinese and Americans was given the top priority, as the attackers were charging on from two directions because the two messes were not located at one place,” The News quoted informed sources, as saying.
They said that although the attackers succeeded in destroying the aircraft, their plot to harm the Chinese engineers was foiled, as Pakistani security officials safely evacuated the Chinese and Americans present at the base during the siege.
“The Chinese engineers were working with Pakistani engineers on a project to enhance the defence capabilities of the Pakistan Navy. The project had, however, been completed and its demonstration had also been given sometime ago,” the sources said.
They also said that the impression being created by some anti-Pakistan quarters that the security institutions of the country had failed is completely baseless, misleading and concocted because the Chinese engineers, who were the real target of the terrorists, were successfully evacuated from the base amid intense firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'