Chinese-made inducted into Pakistan Navy
Islamabad: A Chinese-made fast attack craft armed with missiles was inducted into the Pakistan Navy on Thursday, with Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee chairman Gen Khalid Wynne saying the vessel`s firepower would help strengthen the defence of the country`s territorial waters.
The PNS Azmat was formally inducted in the Pakistan Navy during a ceremony held at the naval dockyard in Karachi.
The fast attack craft is the first vessel of its kind in the Pakistani fleet.
Wynne said Pakistan had been a proponent of peaceful coexistence and had no aggressive designs against any country.
However, he added that Pakistan could not "remain oblivious of the requirements of the country`s defence".
PNS Azmat is the embodiment of the Pakistan Navy`s endeavours to remain relevant in the contemporary environment through the induction of modern platforms.
He said he was sure the capabilities and firepower of the PNS Azmat would help strengthen the defence of the country`s territorial waters.
Another fast attack craft of the same class is being built at the Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works.
Wynne also lauded the defence cooperation between China and Pakistan and said the longstanding ties between the two sides are a "manifestation of an enduring, multidimensional and deep-rooted relation".
The PNS Azmat is fitted with modern weapons and sensors and a variety of "soft and hard kill terminal defence systems", officials said.
The vessel will provide operational flexibility to the navy, they said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata