Christian couple held in Pak for sending blasphemous texts
Lahore: A Christian couple has been arrested in Gojra district of Pakistan`s Punjab province for sending `blasphemous` mobile phone text messages to Muslims.
Complainants - Tehsil Bar Association President Anwar Mansoor Goraya and trader Malik Muhammad Hussain - told police that the Saint Cathedral School watchman Shafqat Masih and his wife Shagufta Masih had sent them blasphemous text messages.
A Gojra judicial magistrate yesterday sent the couple on judicial remand.
The police registered a blasphemy case under section 295-C of Pakistan Penal Code against the accused, residents of Gojra Christian Colony, some 200 kilometres from Lahore.
The accused, however, denied the allegation.
Two weeks ago, a Pakistani court had handed down life imprisonment to a 27-year-old Christian man for sending `blasphemous` mobile text messages to some Muslim clerics in the same district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details