Christian locality attacked in Pakistan
Lahore: A mob of Muslims attacked a Christian neighbourhood in Pakistan`s central Punjab province following a petty quarrel today, the latest in a string of incidents involving tensions between the two communities.
Police fired in the air and used teargas and batons to disperse both groups, leading to six injured, including policemen.
The incident began when a mob targeted Francisabad Colony of Gujranwala city, 80 km from Lahore, and damaged several shops, homes, cars and motorcycles.
A large group of Christians, some of them armed with sticks, also gathered in the area and clashed with the Muslims.
The wounded were taken to a nearby hospital for first aid. Francisabad Colony is one of the largest Christian settlements in Gujranwala district, with a population of about 2,000 families.
The incident in Gujranwala comes almost a month after a mob of Muslims vandalised and torched some 200 homes of Christians at Joseph Colony in Lahore on March 9.
Trouble had erupted there after a Muslim man accused a Christian resident of Joseph Colony of committing blasphemy.
The latest clash in Gujranwala began last night after a Muslim cleric rebuked some boys from Francisabad Colony for playing music on their mobile phones while passing by a mosque.
Though the boys turned off the music, the cleric accused them of disrespecting Islam, said Samson Salamat, director of the Centre for Human Rights Education.
The cleric allegedly instigated the Muslim community to attack the Christians, Salamat said in a statement.
Another report from Gujranwala said the trouble began after children of the two communities quarrelled during a cricket match yesterday.
"One of the Muslim boys probably told his parents that the Christian boys had spoken against Islam during the quarrel," a local resident said.
Tensions reached a peak this afternoon when an announcement was made from mosques near Francisabad Colony that "some Christians had committed blasphemy."
A Muslim mob gathered and marched towards the Christian neighbourhood. Senior police officials of Gujranwala division, Muslim clerics and Christian priests reached the area and tried to control the situation.
Police asked some Christian families to vacate their homes to prevent any untoward incident, officials said.
Footage on television showed the mob pelting stones at policemen, who fired in the air and lobbed teargas. The mob also ransacked a police post.
"We are trying to sort out the issue amicably between the two groups," Najam Shah, chief of the Gujranwala district administration, told reporters.
He said police would remain in the conflict zone till the situation returns to normal. He condemned the attack and described the situation as "very alarming".
Salamat demanded that the Punjab government should take steps to stop such "atrocities".
"The vulnerability of religious minorities, particularly Christians, is increasing day-by-day due to the growing level of intolerance in society.
This intolerance cannot be controlled unless a clear policy is made to eliminate the mindset that is promoting hatred," Salamat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly