Chuck Hagel calls Hamid Karzai on detention issue
Washington: US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel on Saturday called Afghan President Hamid Karzai and discussed with him bilateral issues, including the transfer of detention facilities.
"Secretary Hagel spoke with Afghan President Karzai this morning to discuss issues of shared concern, including detentions," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said, after the telephonic call between the two leaders.
"They agreed to use the next week to conduct intensive work with a view to concluding an agreement that fully recognises Afghan sovereignty and our mutual interests in security of the Afghan people and our respective forces," Little said.
Yesterday, the White House said that it is working with the Karzai Government on transfer of the detention facilities.
"We certainly are working closely with President Karzai to complete the transfer of those detention facilities," White House Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest said.
Earnest was responding to reporter`s questions on statements being made in this regard by Karzai in the last few days.
"This is something that we`ve been working through with Karzai for several months now; that our military leadership on the ground at ISAF is working closely with the Karzai government to affect the transfer of these detention facilities, including the one that you`re talking about," he said.
"But in terms of where we stand in that process, I don`t have anything new to offer from here other than to say that, as we have for several months now, that this is something that we`re working closely with President Karzai to complete, which is the transfer of this detention facility," Earnest said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says