`CIA estimates on Pak N-prog were 10 yrs behind actual status`
Islamabad: Disgraced Pakistani nuclear scientist Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan has said US intelligence estimates of Pakistan`s nuclear programme were 10 years behind the country`s actual nuclear status.
"When CIA sent a letter saying we had crossed the five per cent threshold, we had made several bombs by then," The Express Tribune quoted Dr Khan, as saying.
He also claimed that Pakistan completed its nuclear program without the help of any foreign country.
Dr Khan said he had written to then Pakistan president, General Ziaul Haq, in a letter dated December 10, 1984, that his department was ready to conduct a nuclear explosion at a week`s notice. However, he pointed out that it was not till Benazir Bhutto became Prime Minsiter that Pakistan started its missile programme.
Dr Khan said they built a successful nuclear warhead by 1984, at a maximum estimated cost of 250 million dollars, funded internally through off-the-book allocations from developmental budgets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...