Citing Karzai outbursts, US lawmakers seek Afghan pullout
Washington: Citing Afghan President Hamid Karzai`s "outbursts”, three US lawmakers have urged US President Barack Obama to set a flexible timetable for withdrawing US troops from the war-torn country.
Democratic Senator Russ Feingold, Democratic Representative Jim McGovern, and Republican Representative Walter Jones said in a letter to Obama that US efforts should focus more on al Qaeda`s global terrorist operations.
"We urge you to set a flexible timetable for removing US troops from Afghanistan and transition to a sustainable counter terrorism strategy for the region," they said in the message yesterday, which Feingold`s office made public.
"Such a timetable could be flexible, but it would need to clearly specify any variables that would warrant its alteration," they wrote.
The lawmakers, pointing to a recent war of words between Karzai and his Western backers, warned current US strategy "makes us dependent upon an unreliable partner in the Afghan government, as recent events highlight."
"While we appreciate your efforts to hold President Karzai accountable, his recent outbursts only raise more questions about his willingness to take the necessary steps to address corruption and security on which our current strategy relies," they wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video