Citing Karzai outbursts, US lawmakers seek Afghan pullout
Washington: Citing Afghan President Hamid Karzai`s "outbursts”, three US lawmakers have urged US President Barack Obama to set a flexible timetable for withdrawing US troops from the war-torn country.
Democratic Senator Russ Feingold, Democratic Representative Jim McGovern, and Republican Representative Walter Jones said in a letter to Obama that US efforts should focus more on al Qaeda`s global terrorist operations.
"We urge you to set a flexible timetable for removing US troops from Afghanistan and transition to a sustainable counter terrorism strategy for the region," they said in the message yesterday, which Feingold`s office made public.
"Such a timetable could be flexible, but it would need to clearly specify any variables that would warrant its alteration," they wrote.
The lawmakers, pointing to a recent war of words between Karzai and his Western backers, warned current US strategy "makes us dependent upon an unreliable partner in the Afghan government, as recent events highlight."
"While we appreciate your efforts to hold President Karzai accountable, his recent outbursts only raise more questions about his willingness to take the necessary steps to address corruption and security on which our current strategy relies," they wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH