Civic body chief in Bangladesh rapes minor, pays small fine
Dhaka: The acting mayor of a town in Bangladesh who raped his minor maid servant has got away by paying a fine of Taka 40,000 (USD 575) fixed by influential village elders.
No police case has been registered and the police chief says he has `heard` of a "Salish court" settling the case.
"Salish courts" are a traditional arrangement whose jurisdiction in settling minor crime was recognised through two ordinances issued in 1976 and 1979. They have often been accused of persecuting women in Bangladesh.
The nine-year-old girl who had been working as a maid for the last two years told the media that she was asked not to report the matter to police and was threatened by Abul Kalam Azad, the civic body chief of Matiranga municipality in Khagrachari district.
Meeting in Adarshgram village, Matiranga Upazila (sub-district) chairman Mohammad Shamsul Hoq, vice chairman Mohammad Delwar Hossein and some other local influential leaders asked Abul Kalam Azad to compensate the victim.
Azad allegedly sexually violated her at his house July 27, The Daily Star said on Monday.
Azad is also vice president of the local unit of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).
Asked about the Salish court`s verdict, Chairman Mohammad Shamsul Hoq said he has the right to resolve any problem that arises in the area under his jurisdiction.
Officer-in-charge of Matiranga police station Mohammad Abdul Qaium said he had heard about the matter and the Salish, but no one had come to the police station to file a complaint.
The victim, whose father died a few years ago, has worked at the house for the last two years in return for food and boarding only, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly