Civilian bomb injuries soar in south Afghanistan
Kabul: Civilian injuries due to roadside
bombs and other explosives in southern Afghanistan have soared
amid worsening Taliban violence, the International Committee
for the Red Cross said in a report on Thursday.
Hospitals in the provinces of Kandahar and Helmand
admitted up to 40 per cent more patients with such injuries in
the first two months of the year compared to the same period
last year, the group said.
The Red Cross-supported Mirwais Hospital in the city of
Kandahar treated 51 patients for injuries caused by homemade
bombs in March alone, well above the average monthly figure,
"Homemade bombs and improvised mines continue to pose a
major threat to civilians in the south of Afghanistan. In the
last few weeks, ICRC personnel at Mirwais Hospital in Kandahar
have observed a substantial increase in casualties," the
The insurgency employs roadside bombs to attack Afghan
government forces and NATO troops and spread fear among the
At least 2,412 Afghan civilians were killed in fighting
last year, an increase of 14 percent from 2008, according to
the United Nations.
About two-thirds of the civilian deaths were a result of
actions initiated by the insurgents, including ambushes,
assassinations and roadside bombs, while the percentage of
civilian deaths attributed to NATO and Afghan government
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'