`CJ impeachment to be used to move anti-Lanka resolution`
Colombo: A top Sri Lankan minister on Saturday claimed the dispute over the impeachment of the nation`s first woman chief justice is likely to be used to move an adverse resolution against the country at the next UN rights session.
"There will be a resolution at the UN Human Rights Council in March against Sri Lanka. They will say that independence of the judiciary is in the breach," Housing Minister Wimal Weerawansa told a political gathering here.
"They (international community) will then say that because there in no independence of the judiciary, Sri Lanka is unable on their own to investigate war crimes allegations. Then the UN would start its own investigation against Sri Lanka," he said, adding the "public must stay awake to defeat these conspiracies".
Weerawansa is one of the seven government members in a parliamentary panel which investigated the impeachment against Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake.
Bandaranayake, 54, now awaits removal from the top position.
She called the process unfair and mounted a legal challenge against it. The government denies accusations of political witch hunt as the reason for seeking the ouster of the chief justice.
In March this year, a resolution moved by US and backed by India was adopted against the island nation at the UN rights sessions.
It called for speedier action for reconciliation with the Tamil minority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more