Clash at Kabul University, one dead
Kabul: Kabul Police say one person is dead in a clash at Kabul University where people were marking the Shi’ite holy day of Ashoura.
General Mohammad Zahir, the director of the criminal investigation division, says police are still trying to assess why the fight that broke out on Saturday afternoon, killing one student and injuring six others.
A news agency’s reporter at the scene says Shi’ite and Sunni students started fighting and by evening, several hundred more people joined the melee throwing stones at each other. The clash apparently was related to Ashoura, which commemorates the 7th century death of the Prophet Muhammad`s grandson.
Abdul Azim Nurbakhsh, a spokesman for the Ministry of Higher Education, says university classes have been postponed for 10 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown