Clash at Kabul University, one dead
Kabul: Kabul Police say one person is dead in a clash at Kabul University where people were marking the Shi’ite holy day of Ashoura.
General Mohammad Zahir, the director of the criminal investigation division, says police are still trying to assess why the fight that broke out on Saturday afternoon, killing one student and injuring six others.
A news agency’s reporter at the scene says Shi’ite and Sunni students started fighting and by evening, several hundred more people joined the melee throwing stones at each other. The clash apparently was related to Ashoura, which commemorates the 7th century death of the Prophet Muhammad`s grandson.
Abdul Azim Nurbakhsh, a spokesman for the Ministry of Higher Education, says university classes have been postponed for 10 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet