Clash between Hindus and Sikhs in Pak averted
Islamabad: A clash between Hindus and Sikhs over objectionable photos in Pakistan`s southern Sindh province was averted after community leaders helped broker a compromise, according to a media report on Thursday.
Despite the understanding reached by the two sides, the Sikhs, who are a smaller minority in the Shikarpur area of Sindh, felt threatened by local Hindus, the Dawn newspaper quoted its sources as saying.
The trouble began after Sikh students shared some photos of a recent mela in Jai Samadha Ashram in Shikarpur.
The Ashram, which houses both the Gita and Guru Granth Sahib, is frequented by Hindus and Sikhs.
After the photos were circulated on Facebook, the issue created a furore among Sikhs, who contacted their local leaders.
The head of the Pakistan Hindu Council, Ramesh Singh, led a 22-member team to Shikarpur to sort out the matter.
"Young men were ready to fight and kill each other if we hadn`t reached in time," he said.
The matter was resolved after the community leaders spoke to both sides.
Tara Singh, head of the Pakistan Sikh Gurdhwara Prabandhak Committee, said his community wanted peace to prevail between the two groups.
"We don`t want the situation to get out of hand. And (we) believe in forgive and forget," he said.
SSP Parvez Ahmed Chandio said an inquiry has been ordered and a report would be received in three days.
The head of the Delhi Dharam Parchar Committee in India wrote a letter to the Pakistan High Commission and the head of the Evacuee Trust Property Board in Islamabad, which is responsible for managing the shrines of minority communities, to look into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what