Clash between Hindus and Sikhs in Pak averted
Islamabad: A clash between Hindus and Sikhs over objectionable photos in Pakistan`s southern Sindh province was averted after community leaders helped broker a compromise, according to a media report on Thursday.
Despite the understanding reached by the two sides, the Sikhs, who are a smaller minority in the Shikarpur area of Sindh, felt threatened by local Hindus, the Dawn newspaper quoted its sources as saying.
The trouble began after Sikh students shared some photos of a recent mela in Jai Samadha Ashram in Shikarpur.
The Ashram, which houses both the Gita and Guru Granth Sahib, is frequented by Hindus and Sikhs.
After the photos were circulated on Facebook, the issue created a furore among Sikhs, who contacted their local leaders.
The head of the Pakistan Hindu Council, Ramesh Singh, led a 22-member team to Shikarpur to sort out the matter.
"Young men were ready to fight and kill each other if we hadn`t reached in time," he said.
The matter was resolved after the community leaders spoke to both sides.
Tara Singh, head of the Pakistan Sikh Gurdhwara Prabandhak Committee, said his community wanted peace to prevail between the two groups.
"We don`t want the situation to get out of hand. And (we) believe in forgive and forget," he said.
SSP Parvez Ahmed Chandio said an inquiry has been ordered and a report would be received in three days.
The head of the Delhi Dharam Parchar Committee in India wrote a letter to the Pakistan High Commission and the head of the Evacuee Trust Property Board in Islamabad, which is responsible for managing the shrines of minority communities, to look into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe