Clashes after Taliban attack leave 21 dead in Pak
Islamabad: At least 20 militants and a
soldier were killed on Tuesday in clashes that erupted after
heavily-armed Taliban fighters attacked a security check post
in Orakzai tribal region of northwest Pakistan.
The militants attacked the check post with rockets and
automatic weapons, killing a soldier and injuring five more.
The security forces repulsed the attack and killed 20
militants, state-run PTV reported.
The troops called in helicopter gunships to provide air
The helicopters shelled militant positions in the
mountainous Dabori region of Orakzai tribal agency and
destroyed four bunkers.
Sixteen militants were also injured in the fighting, the
The report could not be independently confirmed as
journalists are barred from travelling to the area.
Orakzai, a former stronghold of the Taliban, is the only
one of Pakistan`s seven tribal regions that does not border
Pakistani forces conducted a major operation against the
Taliban in Orakzai in March last year.
The troops declared an end to the military offensive in
June after announcing that the region had been fully cleared
However, local residents claim that while the lower part
of Orakzai has been cleared, the situation in the central and
upper parts has not changed much.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’