Clashes after Taliban attack leave 21 dead in Pak
Islamabad: At least 20 militants and a
soldier were killed on Tuesday in clashes that erupted after
heavily-armed Taliban fighters attacked a security check post
in Orakzai tribal region of northwest Pakistan.
The militants attacked the check post with rockets and
automatic weapons, killing a soldier and injuring five more.
The security forces repulsed the attack and killed 20
militants, state-run PTV reported.
The troops called in helicopter gunships to provide air
The helicopters shelled militant positions in the
mountainous Dabori region of Orakzai tribal agency and
destroyed four bunkers.
Sixteen militants were also injured in the fighting, the
The report could not be independently confirmed as
journalists are barred from travelling to the area.
Orakzai, a former stronghold of the Taliban, is the only
one of Pakistan`s seven tribal regions that does not border
Pakistani forces conducted a major operation against the
Taliban in Orakzai in March last year.
The troops declared an end to the military offensive in
June after announcing that the region had been fully cleared
However, local residents claim that while the lower part
of Orakzai has been cleared, the situation in the central and
upper parts has not changed much.
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on