Clinton arrives in Kabul for Karzai inauguration
Kabul: US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has arrived in Afghanistan to attend Thursday`s inauguration of President Hamid Karzai and meet with top U.S. commander Gen. Stanley McChystal.
Karzai is under stiff pressure from the U.S. and other nations to fight pervasive corruption in his government. Clinton — one of more than 40 dignitaries from the U.S., Europe and other countries scheduled to attend the event — has said the U.S. will not provide civilian aid to Afghanistan unless it can be sure the government can be accountable for the funds. For his part, Karzai complains that foreign aid is being wasted before it ever gets to the Afghan people.
Security is being tightened in the capital for the inauguration, which could be a target for militants.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India