Clinton arriving in Pakistan on Wednesday to discuss security
Islamabad: US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton will arrive here on Wednesday for meetings with Pakistan’s
top leadership, during which the ongoing offensive against the
Taliban and the regional security situation are expected to be
the top agenda.
Details about Clinton`s first visit to Pakistan since
assuming her position are being kept under wraps due to
security concerns in the wake of a deadly wave of bombings and
suicide attacks unleashed by the Taliban.
Clinton is expected to meet President Asif Ali
Zardari, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Army chief Gen
Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi
during her four-day visit, sources said.
On Friday, Clinton will meet elders and leaders from
Pakistan`s northwest and the tribal belt, where the Army has
launched an operation against the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan
led by Hakimullah Mehsud.
The powerful Pakistani armed forces leadership may
take up its concerns about conditions attached to US military
aid for Pakistan during the visit.
The USD 2.3 billion aid to Pakistan is part of USD 680
billion 2010 Defence Authorisation Bill, which was passed by
the Senate and the House of Representatives early this month.
Last month US President signed the Kerry-Lugar bill,
which envisages providing non-military aid of USD 7.5 billion
to Pakistan over five years but with strings attached to it.
The Army`s objections primarily relate to clauses in
the US bill about Pakistan`s nuclear weapons programme, ending
support for cross-border activities by Pakistan-based militant
groups and the civilian government`s role in military
promotions and appointments.
The military and political leadership could also take
up the issue of speedy reimbursement of Pakistan`s expenses
for the war on terror and the need for sophisticated equipment
and weapons for the campaign against the Taliban, sources said to a news agency.
US Special Representative for Afghanistan and
Pakistan Richard Holbrooke has described Clinton`s visit to
Islamabad as the most important trip she will be undertaking
since she became Secretary of State.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical