Clinton condemns Pak’s US consulate attack
Washington: Outraged by the attack on the
American Consulate in Peshawar by the Taliban, US Secretary of
State Hillary Clinton today said "an attack on the diplomatic
mission strike at the heart of international cooperation and
is unacceptable in any country at any time."
"The assault this morning is part of a wave of
violence perpetrated by brutal extremists who seek to
undermine Pakistan`s democracy and sow fear and discord,"
Clinton said in a statement yesterday
"I am outraged and deeply saddened by the assault on
our Consulate in Peshawar. Our thoughts and prayers are with
the families of the Pakistani security personnel who were
killed and all those who were injured," she said.
The US Secretary of State said we condemn this attack
on our mission, the recent bombings in Baghdad that targeted
other diplomatic missions, and all such crimes.
Noting that the US was taking all necessary steps to
ensure the safety of its staff -- both American and Pakistani
-- as well as the security of its facilities, Clinton said:
"We are coordinating closely with Pakistan authorities, who
are working to bring the attackers to justice."
State Department spokesman P J Crowley said the
attacks were a part of a wave of violence perpetrated by
brutal extremists who seek to undermine Pakistan’s democracy
and sow fear and discord.
"This tragedy underscores a common challenge our
nations face to defeat violent extremists that threatens us
both and deepens our commitment to see Pakistan prosper as a
strong democracy in a stable region," he said.
Earlier, condemning the attack, White House Press
Secretary Robert Gibbs said "we strongly condemn the violence
and the actions, and I would point out that extremists in
Pakistan have succeeded in killing Pakistanis, which I think
hardens the view that has led to gains that have been made
over the course of the year against the extremism by native
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are