Commonwealth Gen Sec welcomes developments in Pak
London: Commonwealth Secretary General
Kamalesh Sharma Tuesday welcomed adoption by Pakistan`s National
Assembly of a resolution affirming the sovereignty of
Parliament and the need for continued adherence to the
constitutional separation of powers.
Reaffirming the Commonwealth`s abiding commitment to
constitutional democracy and the rule of law, Sharma recalled
that the Commonwealth had historically defended and promoted
the democratic rights of the people of Pakistan.
"The Commonwealth`s fundamental values and principles
include respect for constitutional civilian democratic
government, and a commitment to uphold the respective roles
and relationships between the Executive, the Legislature and
the Judiciary," Sharma said.
"We welcome and encourage the commitment of Pakistan and
indeed all 54 member governments to the values and principles
which have made the Commonwealth unique and widely respected,
the Secretary-General said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- 'Like Modi, next US Prez should outline economic growth plan'
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella India visit: Talks of transformative role of apps and services to come
- MEA official meets deceased Congolese national's family
- Good news for Rail Passengers! No service charge on ticket booked through card from June 1
- Japan keen to invest in India’s infrastructure growth story: Finance Minister