Commonwealth Gen Sec welcomes developments in Pak
London: Commonwealth Secretary General
Kamalesh Sharma Tuesday welcomed adoption by Pakistan`s National
Assembly of a resolution affirming the sovereignty of
Parliament and the need for continued adherence to the
constitutional separation of powers.
Reaffirming the Commonwealth`s abiding commitment to
constitutional democracy and the rule of law, Sharma recalled
that the Commonwealth had historically defended and promoted
the democratic rights of the people of Pakistan.
"The Commonwealth`s fundamental values and principles
include respect for constitutional civilian democratic
government, and a commitment to uphold the respective roles
and relationships between the Executive, the Legislature and
the Judiciary," Sharma said.
"We welcome and encourage the commitment of Pakistan and
indeed all 54 member governments to the values and principles
which have made the Commonwealth unique and widely respected,
the Secretary-General said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai