Commonwealth Gen Sec welcomes developments in Pak
London: Commonwealth Secretary General
Kamalesh Sharma Tuesday welcomed adoption by Pakistan`s National
Assembly of a resolution affirming the sovereignty of
Parliament and the need for continued adherence to the
constitutional separation of powers.
Reaffirming the Commonwealth`s abiding commitment to
constitutional democracy and the rule of law, Sharma recalled
that the Commonwealth had historically defended and promoted
the democratic rights of the people of Pakistan.
"The Commonwealth`s fundamental values and principles
include respect for constitutional civilian democratic
government, and a commitment to uphold the respective roles
and relationships between the Executive, the Legislature and
the Judiciary," Sharma said.
"We welcome and encourage the commitment of Pakistan and
indeed all 54 member governments to the values and principles
which have made the Commonwealth unique and widely respected,
the Secretary-General said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank