Commonwealth Ministerial Group suspends Maldives
Male: Maldives has been suspended from the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group, the most powerful panel of the Commonwealth body, following the recent political turmoil in the country that led to the ouster of its first democratically-elected president Mohamed Nasheed.
At its extraordinary session in London yesterday, the CMAG received a report from a three-member ministerial mission that visited Maldives from February 17 to ascertain the facts surrounding the transfer of power and to promote adherence to Commonwealth values and principles.
"Having considered the report of the mission and reviewed all the information made available to it, CMAG agreed that it was not possible, in the allotted time, to determine conclusively the constitutionality of the resignation of president Nasheed on February 07, 2012.”
"The Group therefore agreed that an independent and impartial investigation of the events of February 06 and 07 should be completed in a transparent manner within a reasonable timeframe," it said.
The CMAG, a representative body that looks into violations of the 54-member nation bloc`s political values, asked Maldives to hold early elections within this year and appealed to the disputing parties in the country to hold serious political dialogue.
The CMAG noted the announcement by President Waheed Hassan of a three-member commission of inquiry to probe the circumstances.
"It strongly felt that there should be international participation in any investigative mechanism, as may be mutually agreed by political parties in Maldives," it said.
Given the question that remains about the precise circumstances of the change of government, as well as the fragility of the situation in Maldives, CMAG decided that Maldives should be "placed on its formal agenda".
"The Group further agreed that, in situations where a member of CMAG was under scrutiny by the Group itself, its CMAG membership should be placed in abeyance as long as it remained on the formal agenda of CMAG.”
"It decided, accordingly, that Maldives should not participate in CMAG during this time," it said.
CMAG decided to convene again via teleconference in March to review progress in Maldives, and to consider at its next scheduled meeting in April 2012 any further measures that may be warranted, the CMAG said in a statement.
The CMAG stopped short of suspending Maldives membership from the Commonwealth group of nations but decided that Male`s membership of the ministerial action group would be in abeyance.
"The group urged President Waheed and former president Nasheed to commence an immediate dialogue, without preconditions, to agree on a date for early elections, which should take place within this calendar year," Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma said.
The Maldives would be suspended from the ministerial action group but not the Commonwealth, he told a press conference in London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'