Commonwealth SG speaks to Lankan minister on impeachment issue
London: Underlining that an independent judiciary is fundamental to the rule of law, Commonwealth Secretary-General Kamalesh Sharma has discussed with the Sri Lankan Foreign Minister concerns over the impeachment motion against country`s first woman Chief Justice.
The Secretary-General had a telephone conversation on Wednesday with the Minister of External Affairs of Sri Lanka, Professor GL Peiris, in which they discussed the issue of the impeachment motion against Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake.
Sharma expressed appreciation for the briefing provided by Professor Peiris and the readiness of the Sri Lankan government to discuss concerns that have been raised regarding the impeachment.
The Secretary-General and the Sri Lankan Minister of External Affairs agreed to remain in contact on this matter.
"We encourage full and practical application of shared Commonwealth commitments with regard to the impeachment process," the Secretary-General said.
Commenting on the developments in Sri Lanka to impeach the Bandaranayake, Sharma said, "The Commonwealth at large and Commonwealth governments in particular are set apart by a commitment to uphold in word and deed the shared values and principles which we ourselves have defined".
"In particular, all Commonwealth governments have recognised the importance of maintaining the separation of powers and the integrity of the roles of the Executive, Legislature and Judiciary," he said.
"And all Commonwealth governments have recognised that access to justice and an independent judiciary are fundamental to the rule of law," he added.
A Sri Lankan Parliamentary panel last week found the Bandaranayake guilty on three counts of professional misconduct.
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has "regretted" the impeachment motion against the country`s first woman Chief Justice and has said he will appoint an independent probe into the parliamentary panel`s report against her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered