`Complacent` Osama didn`t have escape plan: Report
Washington: With a "support network" in
Pakistan, Osama bin Laden had become "complacent" and kept
staying at one location for the past several years without any
ready escape plan, a media report said on Friday.
Nearly two weeks after the world`s most wanted terrorist
was killed in Abbottabad, "US officials say several key
indicators bolster their initial impression that Osama bin
Laden had a support network in Pakistan that resulted in his
staying in one location for the past several years, feeling
comfortable he would not get caught," CNN reported.
The unidentified officials, familiar with the latest
assessment of the May 2 raid, pointed out that there is no
apparent sign that bin Laden had a ready escape plan,
according to the report.
The al Qaeda chief did not appear to have the means or
make an attempt to destroy the reams and gigabytes of
documents before Navy SEALs assaulted his compound, CNN
quoted sources as saying.
"It looks like he became complacent," one of the
officials was quoted as saying. "There is a lot more material
than we expected to find here."
Bin laden had just three men with him when the US
Special Forces landed in his Abbottabad compound.
"What does all that mean?" the official asked. "How
could he be so comfortable living in that location for that
period of time with so little security?"
CNN said the Obama Administration has still not
concluded, based on the information gained so far, that bin
Laden was supported by the Pakistani government but the
al Qaeda had enough support network inside that country.
"It could take months" to fully assess the intelligence
that has been gathered and the effectiveness of bin Laden`s
command and control of his operatives in the field, according
to another US official.
"If you are the CEO of al Qaeda, sometimes you focus on
strategy, sometimes you focus on management or personnel. Over
time, he was involved in all aspects," the official told CNN,
noting this is why the administration considers the compound
to be bin Laden`s "command and control centre."
Officials, however, refuted reports that the Abbottabad
residence was a retirement home for bin Laden, who was
actively involved in planning of terrorist operations mainly
aimed at the US.
"He had a clear and continuing interest in attacking
the US," the official was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org