Complaint of vote rigging filed against Maoist chief Prachanda
Kathmandu: A complaint of vote rigging was on Tuesday filed against Prachanda by a CPN-UML candidate who lost narrowly to the Maoist supremo in the November 19 polls.
Prachanda secured 15,244 votes, just 900 more than his nearest rival Lilanath Shrestha of CPN-UML, in Siraha 5 constituency in southern Nepal.
Shrestha alleged that the 58-year-old UCPN-Maoist leader won through vote rigging.
While the vote counting was in progress and Prachanda was behind Shrestha by a few hundred votes, the process was disrupted for three hours on November 19.
In his complaint, the CPN-UML candidate submitted reports from election observers, media reports and the statistics of vote counting.
During a press conference here, Shrestha claimed that six polling booths from two villages were captured and that the public were barred from casting votes independently.
He alleged that votes were cast in favour of Prachanda in the captured booths.
Prachanda had contested from two constituencies - Siraha 5 and Kathmandu 10 - in the polls to elect a 601-member Constituent Assembly.
He faced a humiliating defeat in Kathmandu 5 constituency in the hand of Nepali Congress candidate Rajan KC who reduced him to the third position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India