Convocation speech fully in Bengali at Dhaka varsity: Pranab
On Board Air India One: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday said that he for the first time gave a convocation speech "fully in Bengali" during the convocation at Dhaka University where he was conferred a doctorate of law degree.
"It is for the first time that I gave a fully Bengali convocation speech" at Dhaka University, he told mediapersons on way back from his three-day state visit to Bangladesh.
"It was a fully prepared text in Bengali," said the president smiling happily.
"Before me, (Nobel laureate) Amartya Sen had given a speech but it was a mixed English and Bengali speech," he said.
The president who went to Kushtia district to visit Rabindranath Tagore`s Kuthibari at Shilaidaha Tuesday, said he was very impressed at the way the Nobel laureate`s house has been kept.
"It has been maintained beautifully," he said.
The president, during his visit, said India would construct a Rabindranath Tagore academy in Kuthibari.
He also promised help in constructing a library and research facilities there as well as restoring the original colour of the Kuthibari, an official said.
The Indian government has also promised to provide copies of 20 photographs from Visvabharati, he said.
In Narail, where his in-laws house is situated in Bangladesh, the president gifted six computers to the Ramkrishna Ashram there. He also announced help in construction of a 12-classroom block or a girl`s hostel, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation