Convocation speech fully in Bengali at Dhaka varsity: Pranab
On Board Air India One: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday said that he for the first time gave a convocation speech "fully in Bengali" during the convocation at Dhaka University where he was conferred a doctorate of law degree.
"It is for the first time that I gave a fully Bengali convocation speech" at Dhaka University, he told mediapersons on way back from his three-day state visit to Bangladesh.
"It was a fully prepared text in Bengali," said the president smiling happily.
"Before me, (Nobel laureate) Amartya Sen had given a speech but it was a mixed English and Bengali speech," he said.
The president who went to Kushtia district to visit Rabindranath Tagore`s Kuthibari at Shilaidaha Tuesday, said he was very impressed at the way the Nobel laureate`s house has been kept.
"It has been maintained beautifully," he said.
The president, during his visit, said India would construct a Rabindranath Tagore academy in Kuthibari.
He also promised help in constructing a library and research facilities there as well as restoring the original colour of the Kuthibari, an official said.
The Indian government has also promised to provide copies of 20 photographs from Visvabharati, he said.
In Narail, where his in-laws house is situated in Bangladesh, the president gifted six computers to the Ramkrishna Ashram there. He also announced help in construction of a 12-classroom block or a girl`s hostel, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP