Convocation speech fully in Bengali at Dhaka varsity: Pranab
On Board Air India One: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday said that he for the first time gave a convocation speech "fully in Bengali" during the convocation at Dhaka University where he was conferred a doctorate of law degree.
"It is for the first time that I gave a fully Bengali convocation speech" at Dhaka University, he told mediapersons on way back from his three-day state visit to Bangladesh.
"It was a fully prepared text in Bengali," said the president smiling happily.
"Before me, (Nobel laureate) Amartya Sen had given a speech but it was a mixed English and Bengali speech," he said.
The president who went to Kushtia district to visit Rabindranath Tagore`s Kuthibari at Shilaidaha Tuesday, said he was very impressed at the way the Nobel laureate`s house has been kept.
"It has been maintained beautifully," he said.
The president, during his visit, said India would construct a Rabindranath Tagore academy in Kuthibari.
He also promised help in constructing a library and research facilities there as well as restoring the original colour of the Kuthibari, an official said.
The Indian government has also promised to provide copies of 20 photographs from Visvabharati, he said.
In Narail, where his in-laws house is situated in Bangladesh, the president gifted six computers to the Ramkrishna Ashram there. He also announced help in construction of a 12-classroom block or a girl`s hostel, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city