Cops as moles for terror groups shocks Pakistani daily
Islamabad: The last thing Pakistani security agencies need is their own people carrying out `inside jobs` on behalf of militants, a Pakistani daily said on Monday following the arrest of a police official who supported the Pakistani Taliban.
"Chilling details have emerged how extremist groups, especially the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), are now using serving policemen to eliminate their colleagues who are deemed as a threat to these anti-state organisations," said an editorial in the News International.
The arrest of an inspector of the Anti-Violent Crime Cell in Karachi last week comes at a time when the entire country is on a high-alert because of the forthcoming General Elections.
The inspector, who is believed to be a supporter of the TTP, has confessed to killing an assistant sub-inspector and other fellow policemen. The assistant sub inspector who was gunned down in January this year was actively involved in operations against militants.
The editorial said: "It has also been reported that the inspector has revealed during interrogations that several other policemen are also serving as moles for militant groups."
"It is a disturbing development because in their war against terror the last thing that our security agencies need is their own people carrying out `inside jobs` on behalf of the militants," it added.
The daily warned that the inspector`s arrest and his confession could be just the tip of the iceberg.
"There are fears that the infiltration of militants` supporters and moles in the police ranks is quite deep. Stories of policemen becoming partners in crime are not new. It is an open secret that even in various gang wars that have seen several parts of Karachi being held hostage by criminals, bad cops siding with various warring groups have been involved," it said.
"The cop-criminal nexus is a pressing issue that needs to be tackled on a war footing."
The editorial called for a "ruthless `operation clean-up` within the police ranks".
"...It won`t be an easy job but it is something that has to be done. Otherwise the chances of a police force infected by `black sheep` crushing heavily-armed militants are bleak," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in