Corruption in China has become endemic: CPC
Beijing: China`s ruling Communist Party, which has just accomplished its once-in-a-decade leadership change, has identified corruption and incompetence as major problems threatening its existence and called for a "serious political battle" to fight them.
The Party must fight corruption and make its prevention a "serious political battle" both for itself and the country, a report of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of the Party submitted at the just concluded 18th Party Congress here has said.
In his address to the Congress on November 8, outgoing President Hu Jintao had said corruption is threatening the existence of the Party as well as the country.
The Party has appointed a top economist and leader, Wang Qishan as the new head of the Commission on graft calling for a major crackdown against corruption in the next five years.
Wang who held the first meeting of the Commission called for a strengthened fight against corruption in order to build a clean Party.
The discipline watchdog will target Party members` unhealthy practices, he said and asked officials to refrain from mediocrity, indiscipline and luxurious lifestyles.
Wang said efforts should be made to make the Party`s political discipline strict and enforce supervision over the implementation of major policies of the CPC Central Committee.
The document on corruption released to the media here today said "dangers facing the Party have become more prominent, such as a sit-back-and-relax mentality, incompetence, disconnection with the people, and corruption".
According to it corruption cases occurred frequently, particularly in certain regions and government departments, some of which involved huge sums of money and many corrupt officials, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Those involving medium and high-ranking officials exerted threatening influence, it said.
Corruption had become more complicated and camouflaged, while supervisory and prevention systems were still fledgling, it pointed out.
Some officials leveraged their power for illegal gains for their spouses, children, and other relatives while some had distanced themselves from the public, and were indulging in bureaucracy and extravagance; even defying Party discipline.
Ahead of the Congress the New York Times had reported that outgoing Premier, Wen Jiabao`s family has amassed wealth over USD 2.7 billion. Wen denied it and asked for a probe.
Bloomberg news agency reported that the new leader Xi Jinping`s family too has accumulated large wealth. Chinese officials dismissed these reports as a smear campaign.
Meanwhile, Xi in an article published in the official media said "nothing can be accomplished without norms or standards".
The CPC Constitution is the Party`s "fundamental charter" and is a "general regulation" that must be followed by the whole Party, he added in the article.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM