Court bars Musharraf from leaving Pak; shoe thrown at him
Karachi: A Pakistani court on Friday extended by 15 days the pre-arrest bail period of Pervez Musharraf in a series of cases in some of which he was a proclaimed offender, but barred the former military ruler from leaving the country.
A single member bench of the Sindh High Court accepted 69-year-old Musharraf`s request for extension of bail, which was granted before he arrived back in the country.
The court, however, ordered the former president not to leave the country without taking its permission. The pre-arrest bail serves to prevent his arrest for past charges.
While coming out of the court complex, Musharraf was shoed by a lawyer. Angry scenes were witnessed and people, including groups of lawyers, shouted slogans against him.
Footage on TV showed the shoe flying through the air and landing in a group of people in front of Musharraf.
The shoe hurled allegedly by advocate Tajammul Lodhi in the corridor did not hit Musharraf and he was escorted safely out of the court by security personnel. Lodhi was detained and taken to an undisclosed location, the Geo TV reported.
This was not the first time that a shoe was hurled at Musharraf. In 2011, a man tried to hurl his shoe at him when the Pakistani leader was addressing a gathering in Britain.
Musharraf had arrived in the court through VIP entrance but as soon as news spread of his presence, the lawyers started protesting and tried to enter the chamber of the Chief Justice. There were scuffles between lawyers and policemen.
Musharraf was required to appear in person in the court to extend the bail allowance. On March 22, a single-judge bench, headed by Chief Justice Mushir Alam, had granted a 10-day bail period to the former president who returned home on Sunday after being in self-imposed exile since 2009.
The high court had also granted Musharraf a pre-arrest bail in the Baloch nationalist leader Akbar Bugti and former prime minister Benazir Bhutto murder cases.
Musharraf, who seized power in 1999 and left Pakistan after stepping down in 2008, is also wanted in the country for conspiracy to murder and illegally arresting judges.
The anti-terrorism court had declared him a fugitive and issued arrest warrants for him after he refused to cooperate with investigators probing Bhutto`s killing.
Musharraf, who formed political party All Pakistan Muslim League, intends lead his party in the May 11 polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins