Court martial proceedings against Fonseka postponed
Colombo: The hearing of court martial
proceedings against Gen Sarath Fonseka was on Tuesday postponed
following restrictions by the Supreme Court`s Court of Appeal,
two days before parliamentary elections in which the former
Army Chief is a candidate.
Fonseka was to appear before the two court martials
appointed to look into charges against him today, but
proceedings of both the panels were postponed.
"The hearing was postponed as the appeal court had
said no forward movement could be made in this case," General
Secretary of the Fonseka-led Democratic National Alliance
(DNA) Vijitha Herath told PTI.
"The Appeal Court order on March 31 was clear that
General Court Martial cannot be held until the Court of Appeal
decision is delivered on May 3," the Daily Mirror quoted legal
sources to say.
According to a lawyer, the first court martial will be
held on May 5. Sources said the second court martial will be
held on April nine, a day after the general elections.
59-year-old Fonseka, who led the Sri Lankan forces to
a comprehensive win over the LTTE in May last year, was
detained by the Army in February and appeared before the first
court martial on March 17. He had then dismissed the
proceedings calling it "illegal".
Various charges like indulging in politics while still
in uniform and irregularities in defence procurement have been
slapped against him.
Fonseka`s lawyers have appealed in the civil court
against the court martial proceedings.
Fonseka, who suffered defeat at the hands of Mahinda
Rajapaksa in the Presidential Polls, is contesting in the
Parliamentary elections from Colombo district.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Shiv Sena slams Centre's U-turn on Hurriyat, says BJP govt acting like a 'chameleon'
- Sensing tool 'SpiroCall' can measure your lung function over phone call
- WATCH & solve this IPL mystery - What's the connection between Zaheer Khan, Chris Morris and ‘Porcupine’?
- Manish Sisodia suspends govt school's vice principal over indiscipline
- Cops release suspect's sketch as public outrage grows in Kerala's 'Nirbhaya' case