Court orders removal of road blocks near Zardari`s home
Karachi: A Pakistani court on Wednesday ordered the removal of road blocks around President Asif Ali Zardari`s private residence and several government buildings here despite pleas from officials that such a step could lead to security risks.
The Sindh High Court directed authorities to remove road blocks and other obstructions near Bilawal House, Governor House, Chief Minister’s House and foreign consulates despite the pleas of officials.
A bench of the High Court said providing security to and ensuring the safety of the President, Chief Minister, Governor and diplomats was the responsibility of law enforcement agencies and the public should not be made to suffer for this.
Law enforcement agencies erected road blocks and placed empty containers around Bilawal House in Clifton, Governor House, Chief Minister’s House and foreign consulates several months ago, causing problems for local residents.
Several citizens filed petitions against security barriers erected around Bilawal House, Zardari`s private residence named after his son.
The Governor House and Chief Minister`s House are located near business areas of Karachi while the consulates are mainly in Clifton and Defence neighbourhoods.
During today`s hearing in court, a senior police official told the bench that the road blocks and barriers were erected after intelligence agencies warned that these buildings were on the hit list of terrorist groups.
But the bench said providing foolproof security was the job of the police and it should not in any way inconvenience the people.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim describes West Bengal's Garden Reach as 'mini-pakistan', draws flak
- Top five health benefits of raspberries!
- Rs 100 crore mark still too far for Shah Rukh Khan's 'Fan'?
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores