Court reserves verdict on plea challenging Kayani`
Islamabad: A Pakistani court today reserved its judgement on a petition challenging the unprecedented three-year extension given to army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani by the government.
A two-judge bench of the Islamabad High Court reserved its verdict after hearing arguments by Col (retired) Inamur Rahim, who has challenging the legality of the extension granted to Kayani in 2010.
The judges noted that the extension was announced by the government in November 2010 while Rahim had filed his petition in September 2012.
The bench asked Rahim why he had waited almost two years before challenging the extension.
Rahim said under the Army Act, a person could not stay in uniform after he turned 60. He said he had waited till Kayani turned 60 before he filed his petition.
The bench that was hearing the petition was dissolved in November last year after the government did not issue a notification to extend the tenure of two judges.
After the Supreme Court took up the matter, the Law Ministry recently issued orders to extend the term of the judges.
Rahim has contended that Kayani can no longer hold the post of army chief as he had reached the age of retirement (60 years) on April 20 last year.
He further contended that there is no provision in the Army Act under which an extension of a full tenure, or three years, can be given to any person.
Islamabad High Court Chief Justice Iqbal Hameedur Rehman had dismissed a similar petition filed by Rahim in September last year on the ground that it was "not maintainable".
Rahim then filed an intra-court appeal.
Rahim is the convener of the Ex-Servicemen Society and had served in the army?s Judge Advocate General branch.
Shortly after Rahim filed his petition, he was assaulted by unidentified men in Rawalpindi. He accused the Military Intelligence for the assault, saying it as an attempt to dissuade him from pursuing the case.
The military described his allegation as baseless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon