CPN-Maoists attack school vehicles to protest Indian studies
Kathmandu: Activists of the breakaway CPN-Maoist faction in Nepal vandalised vehicles of a local school allegedly for conducting exams under India`s CBSE system, the second such attack on the institution.
Two activists belonging to the CPN-Maoist-backed teachers and students bodies, smashed windowpanes of two school buses and pelted stones at a private car of the school Principal Bhuvaneshwori Rao, also an Indian citizen, on Sunday morning, the school management told the media here on Monday.
This is the second time since last month that the DAV Sushil Kedia Vishwa Bharati Higher Secondary School in Lalitpur district has been attacked by activists of the CPN-Maoist led by Mohan Vaidya, the breakaway faction of ruling UCPN-Maoist.
They had forcibly shut down the school for including Indian course syllabus and sacking two teachers, last month.
The All Nepal National Free Students Union (Revolutionary) and Nepal Teachers Organisation belonging to the CPN-Maoists have also been agitating against the school management for the past few months after two temporary teachers were sacked by the school.
The attack came even as the school management agreed to reinstate the teachers who were sacked, after a dialogue with the agitators.
The students and teachers groups were also demanding removal of Indian curriculum from the school claiming that it was against the "national interest."
The school is a prominent one in Nepal with enrolment of over 3,200 students.
Some Indian teachers serving in the school have also received threats from the agitating CPN-Maoist activists, the school sources said.
"If Indian curriculum goes against national interest, then why is the government allowing CBSE system to operate in Nepal for the past three decades?" asked Principal Rao.
Last year, CPN-Maoist had imposed a ban on screening of Indian movies and entry of vehicles with Indian number plates into Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan