‘Cross-border firing a reaction to Afghan attack on Pak troops’
New York: Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has defended the cross-border shelling in Afghanistan by Pakistani forces, saying it was in reaction to the beheading of 17 Pakistani soldiers by the Afghans.
"If 200 people cross the Pak-Afghan border and behead 17 soldiers and slaughter them, what do you expect Pakistan to do?" The News Agency quoted Khar, as saying.
"This is as distasteful for us, as this is for you, but this is in reaction to something that happens. We need to go to the root cause of this problem," Khar said.
Khar said she had raised the issue of cross-border infiltration and shelling with her Afghan counterpart Zalmay Rassoul during their meeting earlier on Tuesday. She added that Pakistan "does not like doing any kind of shelling".
"We will take responsibility from our side, they (Afghanistan) should take responsibility from their side," she added.
Khar added that Pakistan should not be "laden with everyone``s responsibility."
Khar said Pakistan might sign a long term agreement with Afghanistan so that its bilateral ties with the country are institutionalised, adding that it was required and key.
She said Pakistan``s the military, intelligence and political leadership had strong ties with Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read