Crucial talks between TNA, Sri Lanka govt put off
Colombo: The government has postponed the
crucial talks with Sri Lanka`s main Tamil party TNA to find a
solution to the political aspirations of the minority ethnic
community after the end of a three-decade civil war in May
The direct talks between the Tamil National Alliance
(TNA) and the Sri Lankan authorities, which was scheduled for
tomorrow, was put off due as members of the government
delegation were busy with the local elections scheduled for
October 8, said Colombo Page online newspaper.
The report said no date has been set for the talks, which
was resumed on September 16 after being stalled for several
At the end of the 10th round of talks held in early
August, the Tamil party threatened to withdraw from the talks
on power devolution if the government fails to step up the
pace for a meaningful resolution of the ethnic issue.
The talks are based on the proposals of the TNA, former
President Chandrika Kumaratunga and the recommendations of the
experts` panel appointed by President Mahinda Rajapaksa in
2006, the report said.
The talks aims to find a peaceful solution to the
political grievances of the Tamils of Sri Lanka which led to a
bloody three-decade civil war between the government and the
The LTTE had sought a separate state for the Tamils,
alleging discrimination against the minority community at the
hands of the majority Sinhalas.
The LTTE was crushed by the Lankan military in May 2009,
ended the ethnic conflict that killed between 80,000 and
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today
- Baaghi tweet review: First day first show!