Currency fraud: Chinese suspects arrested in SL
Colombo: Sri Lankan police has arrested as many as 100 Chinese nationals, 26 of them women, for their alleged roles in currency fraud.
The arrests came in a series of raids following a visit to Colombo by a team of Chinese officials.
The 74 men and 26 women were nabbed from Colombo and immediate suburbs yesterday, police spokesman Prishantha Jayakodi said.
"They have got people in China to transfer money to their (those arrested) accounts in Sri Lanka," Jayakodi said.
Figures of the money transferred so far were not immediately available.
The arrested persons are set to be produced in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends