Current S Asian woes legacy of British Raj: Pak UK envoy
Islamabad: Criticising Britain for the colonisation of India and Pakistan, Pakistan High Commissioner to Britain Wajid Shamsul Hasan has blamed English rule for various problems confronting the region at present.
Speaking during the prestigious Oxford Union debate, Hasan said the roots of many of the major problems can be traced back to the British Raj.
“We can trace roots of many of the problems to the course of actions adopted by the British during the Raj as well as at the time when it was parting away from the colonies in the wake of independence movements in the post World War II situation,” The Nation quoted Hasan, as saying.
Speaking against the motion during the debate, Hasan said at the time when the East India Company started its activities in the sub-continent, the region was ‘far more prosperous and culturally affluent than the British isle’.
Hasan particularly targeted the British throne for plundering India’s wealth and destroying the flourishing textile industries of the country.
“The (British) Raj destroyed the flourishing textile industry of India and went up to the level of mutilating skilled weavers of fine Muslin cloth. India was Jewel in the Crown but all its wealth was plundered including the famous Koh-i- Noor diamond,” The Nation quoted Hasan, as saying.
He also criticised the Madrasa system, which was introduced during the British regime, saying it not only gave rise to educational backwardness but also sowed the seeds of religious extremism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!