C`wealth to help Lanka`s reconciliation efforts
London: The Commonwealth has offered its
good offices to help the Sri Lankan government in the
reconciliation process in the country following the end of a
three-decade ethnic conflict in May 2009.
"Commonwealth has offered its assistance to Sri Lanka to
bring about a reconciliation between the Tamils and the
Government, " Amitav Banerji, Director, Political at the
Commonwealth has said.
He said the Sri Lanka`s Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation
Commission (LLRC) is expected to submit its report next month
and it might be presented to the Commonwealth Heads of
Government Meeting in Perth.
Asked whether the issue of Sri Lanka hosting the 2013
CHOGM would be reviewed, Banerji said "the decision that Sri
Lanka would host 2013 CHOGM was taken at the 2009 CHOGM" and
that issue was not on the agenda at the Perth meeting next
month. It might come up at the RETREAT.
Steve Cutts, the Commonwealth Assistant Secretary-
General, said several issues including reform of the
Commonwealth, democracy and human rights and the impact of the
current global economic crisis on development would be on the
Banerji said the official level meeting would be held on
October 24 and 25 and the Ministerial level meeting on October
26 and 27 before the CHOGM on October 28 and 29.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon recently submitted a
special report on Sri Lanka to the UN High Commissioner for
Human Rights and also to the president of the UN Human Rights
Council, alleging human rights violation in the country.
The report accused both Sri Lankan forces and the LTTE of
committing war crimes during the ethnic conflict that ended in
May 2009 and called for an independent probe.
The government has set up the LLRC to probe the ethnic
war, but refused to entertain outside interference on the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened