Cyclone Nilam: 70,000 displaced in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Six people have died and some 70,000 people have been displaced in cyclone Nilam in Sri Lanka, an official said on Thursday.
Several roads in Colombo were inundated by the flood waters, trees were uprooted, and train services were affected, Xinhua reported.
The displaced people were housed in temporary shelters. Water levels in several reservoirs overflowed. Fishermen were advised not to go out to sea.
Cyclone Nilam struck Sri Lanka earlier this week, and gradually moved towards India, causing heavy rains in the coastal regions of that country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill