Cyclone Nilam: 70,000 displaced in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Six people have died and some 70,000 people have been displaced in cyclone Nilam in Sri Lanka, an official said on Thursday.
Several roads in Colombo were inundated by the flood waters, trees were uprooted, and train services were affected, Xinhua reported.
The displaced people were housed in temporary shelters. Water levels in several reservoirs overflowed. Fishermen were advised not to go out to sea.
Cyclone Nilam struck Sri Lanka earlier this week, and gradually moved towards India, causing heavy rains in the coastal regions of that country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!