Cyclone threatens Sri Lanka
Colombo: SriLanka on Monday evacuated people from its northern coast as a cyclone threatened to hit the region.
The meteorological department said that a deep depression in the Bay of Bengal was developing into a marginal cyclone and was set to hit the northern coast of Sri Lanka.
Following the warning, Sri Lanka started evacuating people from the coastal areas.
"We have decided to evacuate people living within 500 metres of the coast from Kuchchavelli in the east to Jaffna in the north," Lal Sarath Kumara, a deputy director of the Disaster Management Centre said.
Sri Lanka Red Cross said the mini cyclone may hit the north after midnight tonight.
Most parts of the country were lashed by heavy rains today and the disaster management centre said that over 4,000 people had been marooned in the northern district of Mullaithivu.
The southern district of Galle recorded the highest rain fall of near 140 mm with most of the roads in the districts rendered impassable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back