`Dangerous` Pak suspect back in Chile jail for explosives
Santiago: A Chilean court ordered back to jail on Saturday a Pakistani man who had been charged and briefly detained after traces of explosives were found on him as he visited the US embassy, officials said.
The court designated 28-year-old Mauhannas Saif ur Rehnab
Khan "a danger to society" and revoked his freedom after he was released last week on probation following charges of illegally possessing weapons, but not of violating an anti-terror law.
The court was responding to an appeal filed by prosecutors on Thursday against Khan`s release that asked he be placed under preventative detention.
The Interior Ministry had also joined the attorney general in requesting preventive detention.
Khan, an intern at a Santiago hotel, had gone to the embassy on May 10 after being called in for a discussion about his US visa, which had been revoked.
He was arrested after going through a security check, where embassy officials discovered traces of a TNT explosive on his hands, cell phone, bag and documents.
The Pakistani national has denied the illegal explosives charge, saying he harbours no malice toward the United States, where he has relatives. He said on Tuesday his predicament was simply "a big misunderstanding stemming from a mistaken identity”.
Khan was detained a week after the arrest in the United States of a naturalised US citizen born in Pakistan, who US authorities accuse of having planted a car bomb on May 01 in New York`s Times Square.
It failed to explode, and Faisal Shahzad was arrested as he tried to leave the United States on a flight to Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla