Daniel Pearl`s suspected killer nabbed in Pak
Islamabad: In a major catch, Pakistani authorities today nabbed a top militant suspected of beheading the Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in 2002. Rao Shakir, a suspected member of banned Sunni
militant group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, was arrested from Bhara Kahu
on the outskirts of the federal capital late last night,
The militant is believed by the police to be closely
linked to al-Qaeda and Taliban groups and their commanders.
Pearl was abducted from Karachi in 2002 while doing a
story on militant funding. His remains were later found in a
grave on outskirts of the port city.
Shakir is also linked to several terrorist strikes,
including a suicide attack on a bus of a spy agency, the
suicide bombing of the Marriott Hotel last year and an attack
Officials said police had been hunting for Shakir for
a long time. A police spokesman said his accomplices were
arrested earlier. The arrested man also allegedly provided
safe houses to militants.
Shakir`s arrest comes as Pakistani military in
continued operations maintained its pressure on the Taliban in
the restive north west region killing two and capturing six
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday