Davis case: Pak court seeks reply from government

Last Updated: Monday, February 7, 2011 - 23:02

Lahore: A Pakistani court on Monday sought
replies from the federal and Punjab governments on two
petitions seeking directives for obtaining the records of a US
official arrested for shooting and killing two men.

The petitions, filed in the Lahore High Court by Rana
Ilmuddin Ghazi and Iqbal Jaffree, also asked the court to
direct authorities to prosecute US consulate employee Raymond
Davis for forgery.

Davis was arrested in Lahore on January 27 after he
shot and killed two men who he claimed were trying to rob him.

A Pakistani man was killed by a US consulate car
rushing to help Davis.

Chief Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry handed over copies
of the petitions to a Deputy Attorney General and an Assistant
Advocate General and directed them to submit replies from the
federal and provincial governments by February 17.

Ghazi said in his petition that some news reports
about Davis had said he was an American diplomat and enjoyed
diplomatic immunity, while this was denied by other reports.

He also said Interior Minister Rehman Malik had stated
that he possessed the complete record of Davis.

He expressed apprehensions about efforts to save Davis
by "changing his documents and proving him a diplomat".

Jafree asked the court to issue directives to the
government to prosecute Davis for committing forgery by
applying for a visa under a fake name.

He also said Davis used "excessive force" while
gunning down two Pakistanis last month.

On February 1, Chief Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry had
ordered the Interior Ministry to place the name of Davis on
the Exit Control List to bar him from leaving Pakistan.

PTI



First Published: Monday, February 7, 2011 - 23:02

comments powered by Disqus