Davis has diplomatic immunity: US to petition before Pak court
Washington: The United States on Thursday
will submit a petition before the Lahore court to certify that Raymond Allen Davis, who has been arrested on murder charges, has diplomatic immunity and he should be released.
"On Thursday, we will present a petition to the court
to certify that he has diplomatic immunity and that he should
be released," P J Crowley State Department spokesman told
He insisted that Davis should be immediately released
by Pakistan and his arrest was in violation of the Vienna Convention.
"We feel that Pakistan has an international obligation
to release him because he has diplomatic immunity, and that we
continue to press this point with the Pakistani Government,"
the States Department spokesperson said.
He said that Pakistan has an obligation to certify
that under the Vienna Convention, and we continue to engage
Pakistan to insist that he be released.
The United States, he said, is building a strategic
partnership with Pakistan.
"We are going to build this relationship for the long
term. We respect our international obligations, and we expect
other countries, including Pakistan, to do the same," he
"We continue to make clear that we`re supporting
Pakistan because it`s in our mutual interest to do so. We are
committed to Pakistan for the long term, but we do expect that
international obligations will be respected," Crowley said.
The State Department spokesman, however, refrained
from linking Davis case with the postponement of the US-AF-Pak
tri-lateral meeting, which was scheduled later this month.
"First and foremost, there`s a practical issue here.
Since the Pakistani Government is reforming its government and
a number of the ministers have not yet been appointed who
would be relevant to the trilateral, we thought it was prudent
to postpone it," he argued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000