Davis` release a national tragedy: PML-N
Islamabad: The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) has said the release of CIA security contractor Raymond Davis was a "national tragedy".
"The bargaining conducted by the federal government will be remembered as national tragedy in the country`s history," the PML-N Leader of Opposition, Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan was quoted as saying by The News International.
Davis, 36, shot dead two Pakistanis on a motorcycle in Lahore on January 27 in what he described as an attempted armed robbery. He claimed he acted in self-defence.
A court in Lahore on Wednesday acquitted Davis after he reportedly paid compensation to the kin of the dead.
"They (the government) have sold the dignity of the nation only to save a foreign national," Khan said.
Khan asked those who took "such a big decision" to show moral courage and accept their responsibility before the nation.
He said the days of the rulers, who have no sincerity in national interest, were numbered, and that the PML-N would launch a protest in Parliament against Davis` release.
"They have put national interest at stake," he said.
A US Air Force plane carrying 12 men, reportedly including Davis, Wednesday took off from Lahore airport for Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- More than two-thirds rise in vision loss globally due to diabetes: Study
- Pregnant women consider weight gain as baby weight
- Janmashtami celebrated with traditional fervour across India
- Combination of diet and exercise may help prevent heart problems: Study
- Overuse of antibiotics harming India's fight against TB: The Lancet