Davis` release a national tragedy: PML-N
Islamabad: The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) has said the release of CIA security contractor Raymond Davis was a "national tragedy".
"The bargaining conducted by the federal government will be remembered as national tragedy in the country`s history," the PML-N Leader of Opposition, Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan was quoted as saying by The News International.
Davis, 36, shot dead two Pakistanis on a motorcycle in Lahore on January 27 in what he described as an attempted armed robbery. He claimed he acted in self-defence.
A court in Lahore on Wednesday acquitted Davis after he reportedly paid compensation to the kin of the dead.
"They (the government) have sold the dignity of the nation only to save a foreign national," Khan said.
Khan asked those who took "such a big decision" to show moral courage and accept their responsibility before the nation.
He said the days of the rulers, who have no sincerity in national interest, were numbered, and that the PML-N would launch a protest in Parliament against Davis` release.
"They have put national interest at stake," he said.
A US Air Force plane carrying 12 men, reportedly including Davis, Wednesday took off from Lahore airport for Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?