Days of manipulating polls are over: Pak PM
Lahore: Setting the stage for the launch of the Pakistan People`s Party`s election campaign, Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf today said the days of manipulating polls were over and the PPP would sweep the forthcoming general election.
Addressing a large public gathering in the textile hub of Faisalabad, Ashraf said the PPP always succeeds when there is a free, fair and transparent election.
Referring to a recent Supreme Court verdict that had held two former generals responsible for rigging the 1990 polls, he said this was an eye-opener and showed how election results were manipulated in the past.
The case filed by former air force chief Asghar Khan against the rigging of the 1990 polls has revealed many things and people need to study the matter to be aware of those who try to manipulate election results, he said.
Ashraf further said there were no more fake voters and the 100,000 bogus votes of the constituencies of Faisalabad were a thing of the past.
He highlighted what he described as the achievements of the PPP-led government at the centre, including aid to seven million poor households through the Benazir Income Support Programme and a hike in the salaries of government employees.
The premier spoke from behind a bulletproof glass as large numbers of PPP workers shouted slogans in support of the party and the Bhutto family that has led it since it was founded by former President Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto.
The venue of the gathering was decorated with the PPP`s tri-colour banners and flags and portraits of PPP leaders like Benazir Bhutto, who was killed during the campaign for the last polls on December 27, 2007.
The PPP is expected to formally launch its campaign for the next general election scheduled for early next year during events to mark Benazir Bhutto`s death anniversary.
Her son Bilawal, the nominal head of the PPP, will lead the election campaign though he will not be eligible to contest polls till he turns 25 in September next year.
During his speech, Ashraf said there was a time when everyone believed it would be impossible to get rid of the dictatorial regime of former President Pervez Musharraf.
However, it was President Asif Ali Zardari`s political acumen that led to the ouster of the dictator.
He said Zardari had also handed over all the powers of the President to the parliament.
He also paid tribute to Zardari and Benazir Bhutto for strengthening the party and democracy.
The PPP-led government was set to complete its five-year term as the party believes in the supremacy and strength of democracy, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm