Days of manipulating polls are over: Pak PM
Lahore: Setting the stage for the launch of the Pakistan People`s Party`s election campaign, Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf today said the days of manipulating polls were over and the PPP would sweep the forthcoming general election.
Addressing a large public gathering in the textile hub of Faisalabad, Ashraf said the PPP always succeeds when there is a free, fair and transparent election.
Referring to a recent Supreme Court verdict that had held two former generals responsible for rigging the 1990 polls, he said this was an eye-opener and showed how election results were manipulated in the past.
The case filed by former air force chief Asghar Khan against the rigging of the 1990 polls has revealed many things and people need to study the matter to be aware of those who try to manipulate election results, he said.
Ashraf further said there were no more fake voters and the 100,000 bogus votes of the constituencies of Faisalabad were a thing of the past.
He highlighted what he described as the achievements of the PPP-led government at the centre, including aid to seven million poor households through the Benazir Income Support Programme and a hike in the salaries of government employees.
The premier spoke from behind a bulletproof glass as large numbers of PPP workers shouted slogans in support of the party and the Bhutto family that has led it since it was founded by former President Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto.
The venue of the gathering was decorated with the PPP`s tri-colour banners and flags and portraits of PPP leaders like Benazir Bhutto, who was killed during the campaign for the last polls on December 27, 2007.
The PPP is expected to formally launch its campaign for the next general election scheduled for early next year during events to mark Benazir Bhutto`s death anniversary.
Her son Bilawal, the nominal head of the PPP, will lead the election campaign though he will not be eligible to contest polls till he turns 25 in September next year.
During his speech, Ashraf said there was a time when everyone believed it would be impossible to get rid of the dictatorial regime of former President Pervez Musharraf.
However, it was President Asif Ali Zardari`s political acumen that led to the ouster of the dictator.
He said Zardari had also handed over all the powers of the President to the parliament.
He also paid tribute to Zardari and Benazir Bhutto for strengthening the party and democracy.
The PPP-led government was set to complete its five-year term as the party believes in the supremacy and strength of democracy, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh