Deal suspected in Lal Masjid cleric`s acquittals: Report
Islamabad: The acquittal of Lal Masjid cleric Abdul Aziz in all but one of the 27 cases registered against him has triggered speculation about a deal between him and Pakistani authorities, according to a media report on Monday.
Last month, Aziz, his wife and two other clerics of the radical mosque in the heart of Islamabad were acquitted in a case over the kidnapping of some policemen in May 2007.
He now faces only one case for allegedly threatening shopkeepers in Aabpara and Jinnah Super markets for selling Indian and English movies.
In this matter too, the chances are that Aziz will get off as the prosecution`s case against him is a weak one, the Dawn newspaper quoted its sources as saying.
Though Aziz has been let off in over two dozen cases involving serious charges, the government has not appealed against a single acquittal and this has triggered speculation about a deal, the report said.
The 27 cases were registered against Aziz before and after a military operation in 2007 against extremists and militants holed up in the Lal Masjid.
Aziz was caught by security personnel while trying to sneak out of the mosque wearing a burqa.
He was freed from house arrest in 2009.
Special prosecutor Raja Faisal, who appeared in cases against Aziz, said the main reason for the cleric`s acquittal in several cases were prosecution witnesses, who either changed their testimony or did not appear in court.
He also blamed poor investigation by the Islamabad Police.
In a case related to the murder of some Pakistan Rangers personnel, government officials who had recorded statements against clerics, including Aziz, backtracked when they appeared in an anti-terrorism court.
While recording their statements, the officials had accused Aziz and others of giving the orders for opening fire and damaging government property.
However, when they appeared in court, they said that they had escaped from the scene when a mob was attacking government property.
In statements recorded in court, the officials simply said they fled to save their lives when a mob came out of the Lal Masjid and began setting a government building on fire.
They did not directly blame Aziz or any his associates for the violence.
Similarly, Faisal said shopkeepers who filed a complaint with police that people from Lal Masjid had burnt CDs of films, also changed their statements.
In court, the shopkeepers said that they had offered to burn the CDs themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video