Death toll due to toxic cough syrup rises to 15 in Pak
Lahore: A total of 15 men have died after drinking adulterated cough syrup in this eastern Pakistani city even as police arrested the factory owner who made them.
Two men died at Mayo Hospital in Lahore while 13 had died yesterday, officials said. Five more men were being treated in hospital.
According to police, most of the victims were drug addicts aged between 15 and 35 years who had been drinking cough syrup to get intoxicated.
Police raided several medical stores and pharmacies in Lahore to confiscate stocks of "Tyno cough syrup".
They also sealed the factory that makes the syrup and arrested its owner.
Khwaja Salman Rafiq, the health adviser to the Punjab government, too confirmed 15 deaths.
He said stocks of Tyno syrup had been confiscated from all medical stores and pharmacies.
The factory manufacturing the syrup was sealed and samples sent to a laboratory for analysis.
"Initial reports suggest that the victims had consumed expired and excessive doses of the syrup," he said.
Over 20 men fell ill or fainted after drinking the cough syrup in the thickly populated Shahdra Town neighbourhood of Lahore yesterday.
Several stores were selling the cough syrup for Rs 25 to Rs 40 a bottle, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician